Sunday, November 18, 2012

Making Some Progress Now...

Almost two weeks clear of my final radiation treatment on Nov. 6, and I'm quite certain any after effects of my chemotherapy treatment on Oct. 31 have dissipated. So, maybe we're finally moving forward here. Really.

I'm eating solid food without pain, finally, although admittedly this is due in part to a regular medication regimen that include a low dose of morphine and Tylenol Extra Strength. There is also a rinse called Nystatin, a tasteless, nasty-looking fluid that battles bacteria in your mouth and throat. Most parents will recognize the term "thrush", an affliction we associate with our young kids. This rinse I'm using is all about keeping this bacteria at bay.

Due to the cumulative effects of the treatment, my salivary glands are not producing saliva at a normal rate. Our saliva contains bacteria fighting entities that keep everything as healthy as possible. When our saliva is not producing at a normal rate, bacteria can try and take over, which leads to a host of potential problems. So, there's the 411 on that little adventure.

Answering The Bell...
I'm hoping to get back to work over the next couple of weeks. It's quiet at the golf course, but there is definitely work to do on the admin side for 2013.

I know the grounds crew have been at it getting the tarps on the greens. It's that time of year! I have tremendous respect for these guys, especially during the spring and fall, as these are the times of year where working conditions can deteriorate over night. The guys at Shannon Lake bust their asses. The hard work they are doing these days is happening while many of the people who play our golf course are either enjoying their winter homes in warmer climates, or they simply haven't been near the facility for weeks.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH...
One of the risks associated with listing those who have been very helpful during my treatment, is that someone might be missed. Be that as it may, here is a start, in no particular order:

Dr. Brian Colquhon: A friend of the family in Saskatoon who lives next door to my parents. Brian has been a reliable contact for both and my folks. He fully understands the treatment I underwent, and was always helpful with advise and reassurance.

Marney Huck, Bob McMurchy & Howard Walrod: Marney put out the call to the Shannon Lake membership to coordinate a list of people to assist me with transportation to treatment. At least a couple of dozen people answered the call. For the most part, Gay and I were able to handle things, and when my parents arrived in Kelowna on Oct. 12, our needs for additional help were met. Bob handled most of the driving when we did need a hand, Marney was along a few times, and the last time I had to tap into Marney's list, Howard was there to respond. We are very appreciative of everybody's help!

Dennis & Bev Beyak: Dennis has been a friend and business contact for many years, though there have been times when we have been completely out of touch. I was surprised to find out in 2006 that he and Bev spent much of the summer months in Westbank. Dennis has kept busy in NHL circles over the years, handling play-by-play for the Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs and now, the Winnipeg Jets. Both Dennis and Bev worked with my dad years ago in Saskatoon at CFQC, the local television and radio station. When Gay and I were looking for a place for my parents to stay out here for a few weeks, Dennis and Bev were quick to offer their home. It has been a Godsend to have mom and dad here. Dennis and Bev are a huge part of making that happen!

John Jacoby: John was in the loop around mid-July, shortly before I was diagnosed. This was a new deal for both of us, as friends and fellow employees. We agreed to keep it under wraps until we had a complete handle on the situation and the treatment plan. By the time we worked through the Club Championship weekend in late August, I was completely exhausted, primarily on the emotional side. In fact, it was Friday, August 24, the day of the Horse race at Shannon Lake that Gay and I spent the morning at the Cancer Agency to get the final low-down on the treatment. Then, it was during the first week of September that I advised the Board of Directors regarding my situation. I remember the day JJ looked me in the eyes, and in no uncertain terms told me to "get outa dodge" and deal with this treatment. I was intent on working through it, but found out quickly that would not be possible. I kind of chuckle that after working with John for the past six years, I almost know everything about him...and I still like him! Thanks for being there Johnny!

More to come soon...

4 comments:

  1. Hey Glen
    Been following your blog sinvw Kinik let mw know of your diagnosis. Glad to see you are through the treatments. Take care and hope to see you at the firepit in thwarted summer.
    Dale Czerniak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bloody new phone HAHA
      Take care

      Delete
    2. Hey guys. Czerny and Pas!
      Great to hear from you! A couple of Holy Cross alumni! Not sure if S'toon will be on my dance card in 2013, but if it is, I will be teein' it up at the Willows. But chances are pretty good you guys will play together there before we all connect again. If that's the case, have a blast!
      Thanks again for the notes!

      Delete
  2. Hey guys. Czerny and Pas!
    Great to hear from you! A couple of Holy Cross alumni! Not sure if S'toon will be on my dance card in 2013, but if it is, I will be teein' it up at the Willows. But chances are pretty good you guys will play together there before we all connect again. If that's the case, have a blast!
    Thanks again for the notes!

    ReplyDelete